Friday, December 02, 2011

Back on the diary..

Well, I'm back on the Blogger thing again! I thought it would be a good way of sharing some of my days with people, without having to make 'er indoors' ears bleed by moaning only to her!

We are currently located in a small town named Beigang, which is halfway down Taiwan, on the west coast. It's a quaint little place, but not really what I would call a 'Holiday Hotspot'! For the first month of being here we struggled to eat, due to the fact that folk here do not speak ANY English. I know, I know, we are in their country, so we should learn their lingo, however, to learn to speak Chinese is very difficult and  something we are finding hard to master. For a start, the language here in Beigang is, in fact, Taiwanese. Only the under 50's speak Chinese as they were 'forced' to learn in school. The older generation seem to only know the language that has no teaching courses on Itunes, and seem to struggle even understanding the fine acting skills of one british expat! I don't think my cow or chicken impersonation is THAT bad!
The town itself is a small rural, farming town which hosts the oldest Temple in Taiwan, Chaotian Temple, which sees visits from folk all over both Taiwan and China. The Town, apparently, will get noisy in during the religious festival time of year (February). This for me will make for some great photo's... Only one day of them though, as I have been warned that these folks send fireworks into the sky for three or four straight days, at all manner of times of the day and I would like to sleep at some point...

I will post a couple of shots of Beigang in the future, and share with you some of the excitement! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home